Melissa Kaspern's Blog
If you’ve lived in an apartment for any time at all, one of the biggest wishes in your new home is for in-home laundry facilities. However, when you have a large family, a busy lifestyle, and lots of clothes to care for, that wish gets bigger - you want the perfect laundry room. You dream of front-loading side-by-side units or that lovely stackable with plenty of room to sort and fold. Instead, your laundry room is a chaotic mess. So, what to do?
Tame the laundry tiger
- If your laundry room floor space is lacking, consider hanging hooks on the wall and hanging your laundry bags for easy sorting.• Add shelving above the washer and dryer with hanging rods. Keep detergents and pre-wash products handy right above the appliances and hang your drip dry and fresh from the dryer clothes with ease.
- If you can afford it, install enclosed shelving instead of open shelving. That way you can hide your mess out of the way.
- Store linen in baskets of shelving so that you can quickly pull down the right container and fold your towels or sheets directly into the baskets.
- Consider putting powdered detergents into glass canisters and liquid detergents and softeners in clear dispensers to eliminate clutter and give your laundry room and clean, organized appearance.
- For extra drying space, install a collapsible or hanging drying rack. Make sure it has plenty of room for trying sweaters but folds back up out of the way when you need it to.
- Hang your ironing board behind or on the back of the door to keep it out of the way when not in use. Look for a rack that includes a shelf for the iron and even extra storage space to make the most of the room you have.
- Some homeowners share their laundry rooms with their pets. If your pet feeds or sleeps in the laundry room, consider enclosed sorting baskets to keep the temptation of rolling in your dirty clothes away from your pets. To give them their own space, consider placing their crate or kennel under the folding area.
- If you have a very tiny space, go vertical with everything. Hang adjustable racks with shelving, wire baskets, hooks, and hanging bars all in one place.
- When you share your laundry space with your kitchen or the rear or garage entry, you have to be strategic about storage and sorting areas. If not, you end up with clothing in your kitchen or being stepped on by anyone coming through the back door. Consider storing all the laundry supplies in a decorative cabinet with a flat surface to use for folding that looks like an intentional piece of furniture when you’re not doing laundry.
If your laundry room no longer fits your family or lifestyle, talk to your real estate professional about searching for a new laundry room with a house attached.
More Info on this Property | New Listing Alerts
Many homeowners or soon-to-be homeowners are anxious about making big purchases online. However, there’s a lot to be said for the perks of online shopping for things like furniture and appliances for your home.
As technology progresses and more and more retailers build their online presence, the selection has never been bigger. That’s why we’re going to show you how to find the nicest furniture and appliances online, get the best deals, and ensure that you’re buying from a trustworthy seller.
Read on for our tips on online appliance and furniture shopping.
The efficiency of online shopping
If done correctly, shopping online is much faster than driving to your local furniture store. The best way to achieve this is to know exactly what you’re looking for before ever opening up your browser. This will help you avoid scrolling endlessly through Ikea’s or Best Buy’s websites wondering what’s worth clicking on.
You’ll need to determine the following:
Your budget. This will narrow down the selection immensely and keep you from dreaming about unnecessarily expensive items.
Your style. Is there a specific color that you’re hoping to match? Does your furniture need to meet a specific style, such as mid-century modern? Using these search terms will help you find very specific results.
Practicality. There’s a difference between buying a washing machine and refrigerator for yourself and buying one for a family of five. Knowing the size and load specifications you need will help you narrow the search.
Take advantage of user reviews
One of the immense benefits of online shopping is the wealth of reviews that can be read. User reviews help the consumer and the company--it tells the company what products people prefer and it tells the consumer if the product met the description and quality standards of other customers.
It’s best to purchase items that have a higher number of positive reviews. A refrigerator that has a single five-star review might be of good quality, but I would trust that the refrigerator with twenty four-star reviews is consistently a top-quality item.
If you’re buying from a smaller online store, check out reviews for the retailer itself. Websites like Yelp and Google+ are both good places to look before hitting the “checkout” button.
Try before you buy
The internet is just one tool used for online furniture and appliance shopping. If possible, make a list of your favorite products and visit a local retailer who has them in stock. This will allow you to compare how the products look and feel in real life, as sometimes photos don’t quite portray the color and texture correctly.
This is also a good time to make sure the items are sized correctly to fit your home. Before leaving for the store, measure the space you have to work within your home. Remember that there often needs to be room behind your appliances for wiring. At the store, check to see if the products you looked at online will meet your space requirements.
More Info on this Property | New Listing Alerts